05/06/2008

Unusual salad

I often buy meat at a boucher's shop that is in the same building as the Turkish supermarket (details in French in the previous post). Meat at this place is clean, has produce in small quantities - which means that it is fresh due to turnout and, I often find unusual stuff.

Except for tripe, everyone in my family loves offal. I brought some lamb tongue and lamb kidney at my last visit. We made a curry with the kidney and a salad with the lamb tongues.

Here's the recipe...

Lamb Tongue Salad

500 g lamb tongues
1 huge onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1" piece of ginger, diced
500 g waxy potatoes (new, baby potatoes are best, but I used the Nicolas variety)
1 big or 2 small shallots, diced fine
1 green chilli, sliced fine
1 T red wine vinegar
3 T olive oil
2 T coriander leaves
Salt

Method:

Wash tongues and boil with onion, garlic, ginger and salt for about an hour and a half. I use a pressure cooker* to cut down on my energy consumption. The tongues are perfectly cooked after 15 minutes of high-pressure cooking. Boil potatoes. If using baby potatoes, keep skin and use whole. Peel and chop normal potatoes into 1" cubes. Cool.

When tongues are cool enough to handle, peel them. When the tongues are cooked, the skin slides off quite easily. Cut tongues in 1"slices or cubes.

Mix well with all other ingredients. Serve this salad on a bed of salad greens or with some rice. If you prefer a warm salad, you may heat the salad before serving on the greens.

* The pressure cooker is one of the most used utensils in my kitchen. I have one fagor (like in the link above), one Hawkins Futura, one Hawkins Cooker and one low-pressure cooker. They are wonderful for soups, cooking beans and meat curries and I like the economy of time and energy that they allow. On the downside, you have to get used to adjusting cooking timings since food can be overcooked easily.



*****************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.